Cryotherapy has been in use around the world for many decades, long before it started to surface on Instagram feeds. With origins in Japan in 1978, whole body cryotherapy was first designed to treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis. As its use has expanded, athletes and everyday individuals alike have come to discover many cryotherapy benefits, embracing it as a practice around the world.
If you’re yet to dive into the spine-tingling world of cryotherapy and its many benefits, allow us to enlighten you.
What is cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy is a non-invasive hyper-cooling treatment, where bodies are enveloped in a fine nitrogen mist that’s safely cooled to between -110 to -170 degrees for up to three minutes. It’s all about exposing the body to intense cold within a short, contained period.
When this instant cooling occurs, our bodies activate a powerful survival mechanism, with blood vessels closest to the skin contracting, rerouting blood to major organs in order to maintain core body temperature.
As a result of this blood redistribution, your blood is filled with oxygen, nutrients and healing enzymes. Once your body returns to a normal temperature, that blood is then rushed back to your skin and muscle tissues, bringing all of its enriched benefits with it. Pain may be relieved, sore and swollen joints can be soothed, and healing can be fast-tracked in areas of your body that need it. Not only that, but you may also get a nice boost of those feel-good endorphins we all love, walking away with a true sense of invigoration and refreshment on the other side of your treatment.
How does cryotherapy benefit our bodies?
Cryotherapy benefits can be numerous and myriad. With so many potential benefits built into one single cryotherapy appointment, this can be a powerful and effective way to boost your body’s wellbeing in a short, tight timeframe.
Cryotherapy benefits may include…
- Benefits to your general wellbeing. Cryotherapy can help to improve your sleep, boost your immunity, and elevate your mood.
- Provide relief from pain. If you suffer from chronic pain, arthritis pain, or are recovering from a sports injury or surgery/accident, cryotherapy can help to reduce pain, relieve swelling and bring vitality to your body through the oxygenated blood that circulates afresh.
- Aid the recovery process. Along with its benefits to help the body rehabilitate on the back of surgical procedures, accidents or injuries, cryotherapy sessions can be a great way to kick hangovers and jet lag side effects.
- Weight loss. If you’re looking for a way to raise your metabolism, consistent cryotherapy treatments can assist as a boost to your already existing weightloss plan.
- Skin rejuvenation. Looking to reduce wrinkles? Tighten skin? Cryotherapy can help to boost collagen production, as a nice added bonus!
Cryotherapy Sydney options
If you’re based in Sydney and looking to make your first jump into the world of cryotherapy benefits, CRYO’s cutting edge cryotherapy and state-of-the-art facilities are ready to welcome you. Time to jump into the cold!